WASTEWATER UTILITY WORKER
Job Title: Wastewater Utility Worker
Closing Date: August 28 – September 12, 2023
Salary: Depending On Experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Canton Municipal Utilities, Canton, MS
Under the general supervision, the Wastewater Utility Worker will perform a variety of semi-skilled and manual tasks in the operation and maintenance of sanitary sewer and storm drain systems and operate a variety of light construction equipment and wastewater system equipment. This is a physically demanding position, the person must be able to take directions well, possess excellent customer service skills, utilize safety practices and has a great understanding of teamwork. This is an entry level position. Work is predominately outdoors and in all weather conditions.
THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the class.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Drives a dump truck hauling dirt or waste material.
· Operates an excavator and backhoe in working with crews carrying out maintenance and repair work on streets, water lines, and storm and sanitary sewers; hauls asphalt, pipe tools and similar material; transports personnel and materials to and from work sites; picks up supplies and runs various errands.
· Complete necessary maintenance records on equipment operated.
· Performs routine and corrective maintenance of wastewater systems (sewer lines, sewer pipes, and sewer pumps) and storm drains.
· Installs, removes, replaces, maintains and repairs system components in in conjunction with regulatory requirements and departmental guidelines.
· Assists in cleaning, inspecting and repairing sewer mains, treatment facilities and lift stations.
· Perform confined space entry duties, such as entering confined spaces
· Cleans bar-screens, weirs, digesters, pumps, tools, and other stationary and portable equipment.
· Answers emergency calls from the public taking appropriate action such as jetting sewer services and sewer main repairs.
· Performs routine inspection of equipment, major and minor maintenance and lubrication of machinery such as changing oil or greasing equipment.
· Spread sand, gravel, dirt and/or waste products, digs and refills ditches and trenches.
· Carries or holds materials, supplies and tools to assist operations and maintenance personnel.
· Basic understanding of problem solving and conflict management technique.
· Read and interpret sewer system and drainage system maps.
· Confers with customers regarding service problems and reports feedback to supervisor.
· Operate vehicles and powered industrial trucks.
· Organizes tools, equipment and supplies necessary to complete assignments.
· Inspects, cleans and maintains equipment and tools in safe operating order.
· Performs routine inspections of assigned areas to detect any necessary repairs or hazardous conditions.
· Maintains safety regulations including wearing appropriate clothing, erecting proper barricades and signage and using proper equipment and tools.
· Cross train in both the Water and Wastewater Departments.
· Performs other duties required.
· Outdoors in varying weather conditions. Frequent exposure to noise, heat, dust, and/or potentially hazardous conditions (damp, dark, dusty, dirty and/or acrid). Must regularly lift, move, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend over and crawl.
· Operating burning and welding equipment; using a respirator; using fecal testing; and operating and maintaining color coded equipment.
· May be exposed to moving traffic, hazardous chemicals, fumes, heights, trenches, air and water borne pathogens, body fluids, infectious diseases, rodents and insects.
· Working in confined spaces.
· May be required to work weekends, nights and holidays; on call duty after normal business hours is required.
· Must be willing and able to work overtime as required.
· Required to be On Call Duty rotation and respond to emergency calls 24/7. Must be able to arrive in the service area within 30 minutes.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
· Some of the physical activities performed are: climbing and descending ladders and stairways; standing for long periods of time; walking to and from repair sites; bending, crouching and kneeling; erecting and working on scaffolds; lifting and carrying heavy equipment. · Must be able to lift 100 pounds. · Must be able to perform any physical laboring tasks related to sewer maintenance, repair and construction work. · Frequently sitting while operating equipment that produces bumping, jarring and vibration. · Constant use of both hands/arms in gripping, grasping and reaching while operating equipment. · Ability to bend/twist at waist and neck while operating equipment and frequently bend at waist and knees getting in and out of equipment. · Occasional standing and frequent walking over uneven terrain and muddy surfaces. · Must possess good vision in near and mid-range and for categories with good peripheral vision. · Must be capable of climbing onto equipment, performing minor maintenance on equipment which can result in awkward position or cramped quarters. · Will be shoveling loose material frequently. · Constant awareness to work surroundings for other moving equipment and individuals.
· Power and hand tools
· Mini excavator, backhoe, trucks, tractors, trailers and dump trucks
Education & Experience:
· High school diploma or GED equivalent
· Three years of satisfactory experience of the following: wastewater utilities, industrial construction activities; residential or industrial plumbing; or the operation or repair of wastewater treatment plants or associated facilities (Note: handyman and janitorial experience is not acceptable)
· Valid MS driver’s license with good record
· Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) preferred
· Familiarity with hand and power tools
· Must be able to read and write
· Working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of vehicles, equipment, machinery and/or pumps
· Must be able to pass drug test, and criminal background check
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume’ to:
ATTN: Director, Human Resources-CMU
127 West Peace Street
Canton, MS 39046
Email To: email@example.com
- Cover letters and resumes must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date of this announcement or September 12, 2023.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed for individuals with this job title. However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
P. O. BOX 114 127 WEST PEACE STREET CANTON, MISSISSIPPI 39046 (601) 859-2921